Friday, November 23, 2012

Thank you


I can’t fully express what it means to me to reconnect with long lost friends.  But not just to reconnect.  To realize that, despite the fact that our lives have diverged and moved on and changed so much, we can still count ourselves sisters at heart, connected in more ways than can adequately be described.

It’s been a long time since someone has told me that it is, in fact, important that I keep fighting.  That simple sentiment, that notion that what I’m doing, what I’m fighting for still matters, has fanned the flame in me and driven me forward.  I no longer just want to get through this year for the sake of passing my first semester of law school.  I want to do well, I want to succeed because what I do, what I want to do matters.  Simple as that.  And it’s been far too long since I’ve been reminded of that simple fact.

But beyond the much needed encouragement and validation, I can’t quite express what it means to be able to be fully honest with someone again.  Even if I can’t say everything out loud quite yet, either due to lack of clarity and self-reflection or simply due to fear, knowing that I once again have someone that I know I can and will be able to share these things with is beyond freeing.

It gave me the courage to post what I’m feeling on this blog, even if I’m not in any way ready to explain everything I’m talking about to anyone who might ask.  The simple knowledge that I have someone by my side, willing to stand with me and back me and continually confirm that no matter what I might say or feel, I am still a powerful woman ready and willing to do important and amazing things has given me the strength that I need to take even just this small step forward.

The words “thank you” are beyond insufficient, but they are all that I have.  So that is what I will give.

1 comment: