Thursday, October 14, 2010

Double X's

These two little x's
So tiny
Even microscopic
Yet they seem to make all the difference

These tiny little x's
Seem to decide so much about me
What clothes I'm allowed to wear
What positions I can hold
In the church
In the workplace
In the home
On the street
On the bus
Late at night
All alone

But I can't ever go alone

I am lesser
I am her
I am not him

They say there is no difference anymore
That we live in a post-gender world
But they don't see
They can't know

The looks that I get
When I speak of my ambitions
When I say I don't want kids
They tell me I'll change my mind
That I don't know what I'm talking about
Or even that I'm wrong

Would you say those same things to him?
No, of course not.
Because I am not him
I am her.

What is it about these double x's?


To insult a man,
They call him a woman.
To degrade a woman,
They tell her she is not a man.


Because I was born with these double x's,
I must not act like a man
For fear of being degraded.

Questioning my womanhood,
They call me a dyke
Or tell me to return
To the comfy and unconfusing little world
Of these two little x's.

I want to be judged,
Not by my chromosomes,
But by the ideas inside my mind,
The passion in my heart,
And the character of my life.

If that's too hard,
If you can't see past these gender roles and sexual lines,
Then don't bother judging me at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment